Women have been denied the right to vote, treated like property, sold to their spouses, raped every time it was war, misrepresented by entitled white male politicians, endangered every time they walked somewhere alone at night, denied the right to drive or be anywhere without a man, shamed for showing their faces, shamed for choosing not to show their faces for millennia, and still you think your biggest problem is that someone buys a mug that says “male tears”?
1. You will feel so alone you think you hear your bones screaming. The sky will look mint and the air will taste of mercury and purple salt. Here, you open the window and allow the cold to gnaw at your skin with it’s metal teeth. Allow it to ripple across your wrists like volcanic lava. Allow it to kiss your neck and tower over your eyelashes. Do not cry.
2. Make your walls bare. Take in the peeling paint. Take in the vast emptiness. Rip out every single page of your favorite novel and tape it to your walls. Breathe in the words. Exhale the characters, the plot, the black setting. Do not cry.
3. Fill the bathtub with water. Take a bath in the dark. Think about how the universe is expanding. You are made up of stardust. You have galaxies breathing inside your palms, the moon is swimming against your thighs. You are meteor showers and the Seven Sisters. Do not cry.
4. Wash your sheets with ivory detergent. Wash your hands with pomegranate soap. Put cucumbers on your eyes. Put lotion on your toes, elbows, collar bones. Do not cry.
5. Remember cities will burn and stomach acid will flood your liver and lungs. Remember people are making love, buying groceries, making omelets, committing murder, giving birth, taking exams, waiting for him, for her. Remember people are dying. You are not. Remember do not cry.
6. If there are needles stinging your chest and marmalade reminds you of red stained lips and hurricane eyes, write poetry. It is the only thing you can do. Paint yourself using the color of the sea. Do not limit yourself to blue. The ocean is not blue. It is brown and purple at sunrise. Green and opaque at dawn. Do not cry.
7. You are alone. There are gaps within us that can be filled with rubber cement. But we will always bleed. It is human nature. Let yourself bleed. The poison, the cockroaches, the mud, the oil. You are the only God you need. You are the only God you will ever need. And finally, baby, cry."
confessions from my alcoholic mother (via irynka)
Dance apocalyptic | listen
50 upbeat songs that won’t hurt your feminist ears, all by female artists.
Little Mix - Salute | Icona Pop - I Love It | 2NE1 - I’m The Best | Janelle Monáe - Dance Apocalyptic | Ke$ha - Warrior | Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna Girl | Robyn - Call Your Girlfriend | Elizabeth Gillies + Victoria Justice - Take A Hint | Tove Styrke - White Light Moment | Nicki Minaj - I’m The Best | Fifth Harmony - Me And My Girls | I Blame Coco - In Spirit Golden | Loreen - Euphoria | Selena Gomez - Who Says | Ke$ha - C’mon | M.I.A. - Bad Girls | Beyoncé - Run The World (Girls) | Miss A - I Don’t Need A Man | Daisy Dares You - Rosie | Girl’s Day - Female President | Bridgit Mendler - Postcard | Rita Ora - Shine Ya | Marina and the Diamonds - Sex Yeah | P!nk - U + Ur Hand | Sophie Ellis-Bextor - If I Can’t Dance | Christina Aguilera - You Body | Charli XCX - Take My Hand | 2NE1 - Can’t Nobody | Little Jackie - The World Should Revolve Around Me | The Veronicas - Untouched | Natalia Kills - Problem | Little Mix - Wings | Demi Lovato - Something That We’re Not | Tegan and Sara - Closer | Krewella - Enjoy The Ride | Icona Pop - Girlfriend | Girls’ Generation - Galaxy Supernova | Janelle Monáe - Tightrope | Marina and the Diamonds - Bubblegum Bitch | Nicki Minaj - Wave Ya Hand | Ke$ha - Animal | Stella Mwangi - Haba Haba | Robyn - Hang With Me | Sky Ferreira - Lost In My Bedroom | Natalia Kills - Television | P!nk - So What | M.I.A. - Paper Planes | Lily Allen - Fuck You | Ellie Goulding - Anything Could Happen | Fifth Harmony - Miss Movin’ On